Sunday, April 25, 2010

Private course vs public course layout

I don't often get the opportunity to play private courses. I've never had a membership at a private club. When I have gotten the chance, however, I've found myself wishing more public courses were laid out like the private clubs.

The private courses I've played -- around Charlotte and in other cities -- have all been laid out in links style, with holes running parallel to each other, tee boxes located near the previous green, OB stakes only affecting a few holes on the perimeter of the course, etc. The one I just played -- Rolling Hills Country Club in Monroe -- is like that. I love that kind of layout. It's walkable. You tend not to lose many golf balls. If you spray a tee shot left or right, you either end up in sparse trees between two holes or in an adjacent hole's fairway. It just seems like you're never totally dead. You can hit a wayward shot and still get it back in play. You still have a chance.

Now contrast that with your typical public course, especially one that winds through a residential neighborhood. Lots of OB. Lots of houses. Long rides between holes. Wayward shots are OB or in deep woods. Not very walkable. It can be very frustrating if you're not swinging well because a few bad shots can cost you half a dozen strokes.

Maybe it's just a coincidence. Perhaps the private clubs I've played are just more old school. I'd love to hear opinions on whether it's me or if this is the general trend.

I'd also love to hear recommendations for public or semi-private courses in the area that are most like a private club, in terms of the layout. One that comes to my mind is Fort Mill. I'd love to hear about others.

Or maybe I just need to save my pennies and join a club one of these days!

3 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

probably the reason private clubs are more forgiving is because i think they are designed with older probably retired folks who dont hit it as good as younger people and older people dont have to walk as far between holes.playing quite a few private courses i have noticed this.

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would recommend checking out Carolina Golf Club. https://www.carolinagolfclub.org

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also like Pine Island and Cedarwood. Both good options.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home