Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Longing for Longview

Every so often, I get invited to play at a private local course here in Charlotte. I've played the likes of Firethorne (recently went private), Ballantyne Country Club, River Run Country Club, and The Point up at Lake Norman. And then every May I get to walk the immaculate grounds of Quail Hollow as a spectator. So I get a little taste of the good life here and there.

You can imagine my schoolboy giddiness at a recent invite to play in a tournament at the barely two years old Jack Nicklaus signature course, The Club at Longview, in nearby Waxhaw. Before the vendor rep could finish his sentence, I said "I'm there!" I got the invite 2 months before the tourney and the anticipation nearly killed me. I had to move my summer vacation out a week to clear my schedule. Small price.

And then a funny thing happened the day of the tournament... it rained! I was between the dumps and the pits. As I was driving through the drizzle to get there, I was thinking "just 1 hole, just let me play 1 hole!"

More proof that I lead a charmed life: literally the moment I drove through the gates, the rain stopped. Except for a 5 minute downpour, the rain held off and we got to play all 18. And boy did my team play! How about a 10-under 62? Jack woulda been proud.

He has every right to be proud of the course, too. Wow. The place was unbelievable. Everything was high-class and top-notch from the mansion clubhouse to the groomed carpet fairways to the flawless greens. Multi-million dollar homes lined every holes. There's one castle under construction along the second hole. It looked like 3 mansions joined together.

I played pretty well and that made it even more memorable. I missed one of the closest to the pin's by a foot, hit several gorgeous drives, and I sunk a bomb for birdie on #18 in front of the clubhouse. Sweet.

I can barely fathom playing that course every week as a member. That would be the life. Right now, I'd settle for just getting to go back and play one more time, this time keeping my own score. Don't think I'd shoot 62, but I'd soak it up again.

Well another funny thing happened at the awards banquet. We didn't win a prize for second place (a ringer team shot 60), but I did manage to win one of the raffles. What was the prize?

How about a round of golf for three at The Club with one of the course's golf professionals?

I'm accepting applications. :-P

4 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider this my application :-)

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bman- Am dying to play Longview - I wll happily join uo if you need a 4rth! Ill bring the cigars and by the rounds after - tknodcmn@yahoo.com

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i was wondering if you knew of any good invitational tournaments to play in around the charlote area?
bencoleman@zhop.org

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B-MAN-I'm in! I live in Waxhaw and drool everytime I drive by! Love to play a round there! I'll buy lunch! scott@garagemd.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home